Grilled Little Gem Lettuces with Buttermilk Dressing and Parmesan
Use a sturdy vegetable peeler to thinly shave the cheese.
- 3 Tbsp fat free buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp reduced calorie mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium uncooked scallion(s), root end trimmed, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, flat leaf, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), very finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 8 head(s) romaine lettuce, or Little Gem Lettuce (make sure to use small heads)
- 4 medium fresh radish(es), thinly sliced (watermelon radishes recommended for a pretty presentation)
- 1/2 cup(s) shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
In a small bowl or in the bowl of a mini prep food processor, combine buttermilk, mayonnaise and yogurt. Add scallion, parsley, lemon juice, mustard and garlic; stir or pulse to combine. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Remove any wilted or torn outer leaves from lettuce. Using a chefs knife, halve each head of lettuce lengthwise; rinse heads well under cold running water, taking extra care to flush water between leaves to remove any soil. Place lettuce, cut-side down on a clean kitchen towel; pat dry as best as possible. (Any remaining water steams the lettuce instead of charring them on the grill.)
Heat a grill pan over high heat until very hot. Add halved lettuce, cut-side down; grill until charred and lettuce wilts slightly, about 90 seconds.
Place 2 lettuce halves on each of 8 plates; spoon 1 1/2 Tbsp dressing over each plate. Scatter 1/8 of radishes over each; top each plate with 1 Tbsp cheese. Season with freshly cracked black pepper; serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 salad