A flavorful, crunchy slaw provides the perfect contrast to savory precooked chicken sausage.
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded carrot(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked shallot(s), minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp reduced calorie mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 12 oz cooked chicken sausage(s), sweet Italian recommended (four 3 oz links)
- 4 item(s) reduced calorie hot dog bun(s), whole-grain
Heat grill to medium-high heat.
In a small bowl, combine carrot, cabbage, shallot and parsley. Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar and sugar; pour over slaw mixture and toss well.
Grill sausage, turning a few times, until lightly browned and grill marks are evident, about 5 to 6 minutes. Grill buns until lightly toasted. Serve sausages in buns topped with slaw and garnished with parsley. Yields 1 bun, 1 sausage and about 1/4 cup slaw per serving.
- To speed up prep work, feel free to use 1 cup bagged coleslaw mix instead of the shredded carrots and cabbage.The slaw can be made up to 1 day before serving.