- 12 small corn tortilla(s)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 3/4 tsp chili powder, chipotle variety
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 item(s), medium avocado, Hass, ripe but firm
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin, divided
- 2 large sweet red pepper(s)
- 12 medium uncooked scallion(s), medium thickness
- 1 pound(s) uncooked lean flank steak
- 1/3 cup(s), minced uncooked red onion(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) cilantro, leaves, torn
- 2 medium fresh lime(s), cut into wedges
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce, or to taste
Heat grill to high. Stack tortillas and wrap in foil; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine salt, garlic, chili powder and cumin; set aside.
Cut avocado in half and remove pit; use a large tablespoon to gently scoop out each half. Brush cut sides of avocado with 1/2 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon spice mixture.
Core and seed red peppers; slice each into 6 rings and place in a large bowl. Trim scallions; halve widthwise and add to peppers. Drizzle vegetables with remaining 1 teaspoon oil; toss with 1 teaspoon spice mixture. Rub remaining spice mixture all over steak.
Place foil packet of tortillas on top rack of grill; place steak, peppers, scallions and avocado on grill close to heat. Grill vegetables and avocado until charred, about 2 to 3 minutes per side; remove from grill and set aside. Grill steak, flipping once, about 4 to 5 minutes per side, for medium rare or longer to desired degree of doneness; remove from grill and let rest a few minutes before very thinly slicing against the grain.
To serve, cut each avocado half into 6 even pieces; mash one piece down center of each tortilla. Layer each with 1 pepper ring, 2 pieces scallion and about 1 ounce steak; garnish with onion, cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce (optional). Yields 1 taco per serving.
- If you want char marks on the tortillas, don’t wrap them in foil. Lay them in a single layer on grill until heated and grill marks appear.