- 3 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 2 medium uncooked eggplant(s), peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1 pound(s) uncooked ground chicken breast
- 1 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), sliced
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/3 tsp dried parsley
- 1/3 tsp chives, dried
- 1/3 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 6 oz grated Parmesan cheese, (about 3/4 cup)
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Place eggplant slices on paper towels and sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon of salt; let stand 20 minutes to draw out moisture.
Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; set pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until browned, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 3 minutes more. Add fresh parsley, dried herbs, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper; stir to coat. Cook until herbs and spices are fragrant. about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
Off heat, coat surface of same skillet with cooking spray; set pan over medium-high heat. Wipe salt from eggplant slices with paper towel and add eggplant to hot skillet. Cook, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Arrange half of eggplant slices on bottom of prepared baking pan, slightly overlapping pieces to cover entire surface of pan. Top eggplant with chicken mixture; top with 1/4 cup of grated topping. Top with remaining eggplant slices and remaining 1/2 cup of grated topping.
Bake until top is golden brown and filling is hot, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, slice into 8 pieces and serve.
- You can replace the dried parsley, chives and tarragon with 1 teaspoon total of 'fines herbes.'