Field greens with roasted beets, goat cheese croutons, and dijon vinaigrette
¾ pound(s), 2 medium, peeled, trimmed, and cubed
1 tsp, fresh, chopped or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried
4 oz, (1 ounce) slices, or Italian bread, toasted
Semisoft goat cheese
2 Tbsp, fresh, falt-leaf, chopped
1½ fl oz, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp, or white or or cider vinegar
1 medium clove(s), bruised
⅛ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
Fresh mixed greens
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Spray a small baking pan with nonstick spray. Combine the beets and thyme in the pan; toss to coat and spray again with nonstick spray. Roast, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare the croutons, spread the toasted bread slices with the goat cheese; sprinkle with the parsley and set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the wine or chicken broth, oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; let stand 2 minutes, then discard the garlic. Whisk until smooth.
- To assemble the salad, drizzle a teaspoon of the dressing over the beets in the pan and toss to coat evenly. Add the greens to the bowl with the remaining dressing; toss to coat evenly. Divide the greens among 4 salad plates. Top each with one-fourth of the beets, then with a crouton. Yields 2 cups with 1 crouton per serving.