- 1 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
- 3 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg white(s)
- 1 medium uncooked scallion(s), minced
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic, divided
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp vinegar, sherry-variety
- 6 oz low fat plain yogurt, Greek-style
- 3 Tbsp mint leaves, fresh, chopped
- 4 small whole wheat pita(s)
- 1/2 medium uncooked red onion(s), sliced into 4 thin slices
- 1/2 small yellow pepper(s), sliced into 4 thin rings
- 1/2 medium fresh tomato(es), sliced into 4 thin slices
In a large mixing bowl, mix together turkey, cheese, egg, scallion, 2 tablespoons garlic, oregano, parsley, lemon zest, oregano, cumin and vinegar until thoroughly combined. Shape turkey mixture into 4 patties; place on a plate and refrigerate until ready to cook.
To make yogurt sauce, place yogurt, mint and remaining tablespoon of garlic in a small bowl; stir to combine and set aside.
Heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook, covered, without moving, for 4 to 5 minutes. Uncover and flip burgers; cook on other side, uncovered, until cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes more. (Repeat with remaining burgers if they do not all fit on grill pan at once.)
To assemble burgers, make a large slit in each pita. Place a burger in each pita and fill each with 2 tablespoons of yogurt sauce and 1 slice each onion, pepper and tomato. Yields 1 burger per serving.
- The cooking time on an outdoor grill may vary slightly from a grill pan so adjust recipe accordingly.