Escarole and White Beans with a Parmesan-Nut Crust
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked leek(s), chopped (white part only)
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 8 cup(s) escarole, coarsely chopped (1 medium to large head)
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 15 oz canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano recommended
- 1/2 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs, coarse-style
- 2 Tbsp walnut(s), coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Heat oil in a nonstick Dutch oven (a large pot with a tight-fitting lid). Add leek and garlic; sauté until leek is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add escarole and sauté, stirring constantly, until escarole is limp, about 1 minute; stir in broth. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until escarole is tender and broth evaporates, about 3 minutes; stir in beans, pepper and rosemary.
- Spoon escarole-mixture into a 1 1/2-quart glass baking dish. Combine cheese, bread crumbs and walnuts in a small bowl; sprinkle over escarole-mixture. Bake until bread crumbs are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Yields about 2/3 cup per serving.