Here’s a much quicker, lighter way to enjoy this Italian classic. Serve it with an arugula, tomato and mushroom salad for a complete meal.
- 3/4 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked eggplant(s), about 4 cups diced
- 1 large clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 4 tsp seasoned breadcrumbs, Italian-variety
- 4 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 medium whole wheat tortilla(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) marinara sauce
- 4 Tbsp basil, fresh
Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add eggplant and cook, stirring often, until eggplant is golden and tender, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low; stir in garlic and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Arrange tortillas on prepared baking sheets; spread each with 2 tablespoons marinara sauce. Sprinkle each with 1/2 cup eggplant, 2 teaspoons breadcrumb mixture and 3 tablespoons mozzarella. Bake until bottoms of tortillas are crisp and cheese is melted, about 5 to 7 minutes.
To serve, sprinkle each pizza with 1 tablespoon basil; cut each pizza into 4 wedges.
Serving size: 4 wedges.