- 1 cup(s), sliced uncooked red onion(s), thinly slivered, rinsed under cold running water
- 6 Tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, coarsely chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 3/4 tsp table salt, divided, or to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), thin cutlets
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 4 item(s) thin sandwich bread, lightly toasted
In a medium bowl, combine onions, 1/4 cup lime juice, cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to mix. Let stand, tossing occasionally, until slightly wilted, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oil, hot sauce, cumin, oregano and garlic. Add chicken to bowl and turn to coat; let stand 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken (discard marinade) and cook, turning once, until chicken is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove chicken to a cutting board and thinly slice.
To make sandwiches, layer 1/4 of sliced chicken and then 1/4 of pickled onions on each roll bottom. Drizzle with any juices in bottom of bowl and then sprinkle with cilantro (optional); cover with roll tops. Yields 1 sandwich per serving.