- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper(s), seeded, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder, ancho variety
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 60 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, (Juice of 1 lime)
- 3 Tbsp plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), chopped
Heat oil in a large nonstick soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add oregano, cumin, chili powder and cayenne; stir and cook 1 minute. Add beans and broth to pot; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for flavors to blend, about 10 minutes; stir in lime juice.
Remove from heat and puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in a regular blender in batches). When serving, stir 1/2 tablespoon yogurt into each bowl and garnish with cilantro and scallions. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- This is a very thick soup. If you prefer your soup thinner, add additional broth or water (could impact serving size).