- 1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 12 oz uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), cut into chunks
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin, divided
- 2 medium orange bell pepper, yellow, and/or red, cut into strips
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, sliced or torn
- 4 Tbsp soft-type goat cheese, at room temperature
On a plate, combine flour, salt and pepper; add chicken and toss to coat.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes; remove to a plate.
Heat remaining teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions; toss to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers and onions are very tender and light golden, about 12 minutes.
Add garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce and water; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, scrapping up browned bits from bottom of pan.
Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet; heat through. Remove from heat and stir in basil; crumble goat cheese over top. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- No fresh basil on hand? Crumble in some dried basil, oregano or thyme instead. Other tasty additions to this recipe include sliced olives, a few capers, crushed red pepper and/or a splash of balsamic vinegar (any changes could affect the recipe's SmartPoints value).