- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar, granulated
- 2 large egg(s), beaten
- 1/4 cup(s) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cup(s) shredded carrot(s), finely grated (about 1/2 lb carrots)
- 2 tsp ginger root, fresh, grated
- 4 fl oz canned carrot juice, or fresh (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice, or less to taste
- 2 2/3 Tbsp low fat cream cheese, at room temperature
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously coat a bundt pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together both types of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat together both sugars, eggs and melted butter until light and fluffy. Add applesauce; beat again. Fold in carrots and ginger. Working in small batches, add flour mixture, alternating with juice, until batter is blended; beat on high for 30 seconds more.
Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until a tester inserted in cake comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes; turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
While cake is cooling, combing icing ingredients in a medium bowl; using an electric mixer, beat until well-combined. (Add water for desired consistency if necessary.) Drizzle or pour icing over top of cake; let sit a few minutes. Slice into 16 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- *Will affect cooking time.