Bouillabaisse (slow cooker)
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
½ item(s), small size, thinly sliced
1 small, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
1 small, halved and thinly sliced
2 medium clove(s), (1finely chopped and 1 crushed through a press)
Canned tomato paste
3 Tbsp, dry
Canned diced tomatoes
½ cup(s), with juice
1 strip(s), removed with vegetable peeler
1 pinch, pinch, threads
Home-prepared fish stock
1¾ cup(s), or clam broth
⅛ tsp, plus pinch
Uncooked snapper fillet(s)
8 oz, or cod, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
¼ pound(s), large size, peeled and deveined
Extra virgin olive oil
Whole wheat bread
2 oz, 2-ounce piece, baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 pinch, such as Maldon's
- Spray large skillet with olive oil nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add fennel, leek, and shallot and cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in chopped garlic and tomato paste; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Pour in wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice, orange zest strips, thyme, saffron, and stock; bring to boil.
- Pour vegetable-stock mixture into 2-quart slow cooker. Wipe skillet clean and set aside. Cover slow cooker and cook 4 hours on Low. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add fish and shrimp to slow cooker. Cover and cook until fish and shrimp are just opaque in center, about 15 minutes on HIgh.
- Stir together oil and crushed garlic in cup. Brush on both sides of slices of bread. Spray cleaned skillet with olive oil nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add bread and cook, turning, until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove skillet from heat. Ladle bouillabaisse evenly into 2 large bowls and top with toasts; sprinkle with salt and pinch pepper.
- Per serving: 1 1/2 cups bouillabaisse and 2 slices toast