- 12 fl oz beer
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), peeled and smashed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp whole cloves
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked lean flank steak, 1-inch thick, washed and patted dry
- In a 9- X 13-inch glass baking dish, combine beer, oil, garlic, lemon juice, sugar, salt and cloves; add steak. Cover dish and marinate in refrigerator, turning once or twice, at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Place a grill pan in broiler; preheat broiler to high. Remove meat from marinade and broil about 3 1/2 minutes per side for medium rare, or longer until desired doneness.* Remove meat from broiler and place meat on a plate; loosely cover with aluminum foil and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place grill pan on stovetop over high heat; carefully pour marinade onto grill pan. Bring to a boil (beer will foam) and cook until all alcohol burns off, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Thinly slice steak against the grain and serve with sauce. Yields about 4 ounces of steak per serving.
*You can also cook this recipe on the grill and reduce the sauce in a saucepan on the stove.