Baked eggplant Parmigiana over whole-wheat noodles
olive oil cooking spray
quick cooking rolled oats
fat free skim milk
1½ medium, or 1 large, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
grated Parmesan cheese
uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti
canned diced tomatoes
28 oz, with green pepper, celery and onion
canned tomato sauce
shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a shallow dish, combine oats, garlic powder, oregano and salt. Place milk in a separate shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices into milk and then into oat mixture; press oat mixture onto both sides of eggplant with hands. Place coated eggplant slices on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with grated topping; lightly spray surface with cooking spray. Place in oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. While spaghetti cooks, in a medium bowl, combine diced tomatoes and tomato sauce; reserve 2/3 cup of sauce mixture and set aside for eggplant. Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl; toss with sauce and cover spaghetti to keep warm.
- Remove eggplant from oven and spoon reserved tomato sauce over top; top with mozzarella cheese. Return eggplant to oven and bake until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes more. (
- Place spaghetti on plates or in shallow bowls and arrange eggplant slices over top. Yields about 1 1/4 cup of spaghetti and 2 to 3 baked eggplant slices per serving.