WW and your FSA-CRM /HSA
Have a Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account?
You may be eligible to use your FSA/HSA dollars for WW membership*, if your doctor recommends weight loss for a specific condition. The savings add up!
What are flexible spending and health savings accounts?
Flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings accounts (HSA) allow you to put aside pre-tax money to use on certain eligible out-of-pocket health care costs.
If your doctor recommends weight loss for a specific condition (including but not limited to obesity, hypertension, or heart disease) the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may allow you to use funds from your pre-tax accounts such as your FSA or HSA to pay with tax-free dollars.
What can I purchase with my FSA or HSA?
If eligible, you may use FSA and HSA dollars for any WW membership—Digital, Workshop + Digital, or Coaching + Digital. By taking advantage of this benefit, you’ll use pre-tax dollars that have been set away in your FSA or HSA account to pay for your WW membership.
Please note, you can not include the cost of diet food or beverages in medical expenses. Diet food and beverages substitute for what is normally consumed to satisfy nutritional needs.
How do I use my FSA/HSA to pay for WW?
- Obtain a letter of medical necessity from your doctor that recommends weight loss for a specific condition. A sample letter is in the link below. Note: WW does not require your letter of medical necessity—it is only for your records.
- Purchase any WW membership—we recommend a pay-up front plan to simplify the reimbursement process.
- Print your membership purchase receipt, which is sent via email when you join and submit the letter of medical necessity and receipt to your FSA/HSA provider to be reimbursed. Please note, claim processes vary by plan so please check with your provider or HR representative.
When is the cut-off for purchasing a membership with FSA dollars?
If your benefits expire at the end of the year, you have until December 31 at 11:59 p.m. ET to purchase a membership with your FSA dollars for the current calendar year. Double-check with your carrier for details on your plan.
You’ll Love WW If:
- You don’t want to give up having fun (and all the food that goes with it!).
- You’re tired of fad diets or yo-yo dieting.
- You’re ready for weight loss that feels simple—not like a chore.
- You want a plan that’s individualized for you.