By Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
Did you know that National Pancake Day is Tuesday, September 26? Although I don’t eat them super-often, I think pancakes are delicious. When whipping them up, there are a few things you can do to make them more SmartPoints®-friendly:
- Make the pancakes thin. My recent favorites are the thin, sometimes savory Dutch pancakes I enjoyed while on vacation in Amsterdam a couple of years ago! Prepare them by using less batter per pancake equals less calories and a lower SmartPoints value.
- Add fruit to the batter. Experiment with banana slices and berries. The fruit will add volume to the recipe for 0 SmartPoints value!
- Use a whole-grain mix. Per 1/3 cup of dry mix, whole wheat or buckwheat pancake mix has 4 SmartPoints value, versus 5 SmartPoints value for regular mix. That’s a nice savings!
- Swap your topping. This will help cut down on SmartPoints. Consider heated frozen berries for 0 SmartPoints value or a runny egg for 2 SmartPoints value as a topping, versus butter or syrup. A ¼-cup serving of pancake syrup has 8 SmartPoints value, and a tablespoon of butter has 2 SmartPoints value.
Ready to get cooking? Here are a few of my favorite Weight Watchers recipes:
- Fluffy Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes: 6 SmartPoints value per 2 pancakes
- Mixed Berry Pancakes: 4 SmartPoints value per 3 pancakes
- Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes: 3 SmartPoints value per 3 pancakes
- Potato and Apple Pancakes: 1 SmartPoints value per 2 pancakes and 2 1/3 teaspoons sour cream
What are your favorite ways to make pancakes healthier? Tell me on Connect @amy_gorin!
Read more posts from The Eat List.