Flammkuchen: A German pizza.
Kartoffelpuffer: Potato pancakes.
Laugenbrezel: A large Bavarian pretzel.
Rösti: Large grated-potato pancake (originated in Switzerland).
Rouladen: A dish of thin-sliced beef rolled with bacon, onion, and dill pickle.
Sauerbraten: Beef roast braised with vinegar.
Schinken: Specialty ham.
Speck: Bacon or bacon fat.
Wurst: Cured meats, usually a sausage. There are many varieties.
- Bratwurst is a pale sausage of pork and beef blended with mild spices, often including garlic, marjoram or nutmeg, and grilled or pan-fried. Figure on at least 9 SmartPoints value each.
- Weisswurst has a smooth consistency from finely ground veal and pork, milk and eggs, and is boiled in water, has 7 SmartPoints value.
- Knackwurst (knockwurst) is a slightly smoked all-beef or beef-pork combo. A typical knackwurst has 10 SmartPoints value.
- Wienerwurst (saitenwurst) looks like a smallish, long skinny hot dog and is only 4 SmartPoints value.
- Chicken bratwurst is a far better choice than traditional pork: this brat typically has a SmartPoints value of 2.
- Krainerwurst is a smoked bratwurst that’s slightly smaller than the basic brat, has good snap and a SmartPoints value of 3.