It’s National Sandwich Month!
By Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
There’s really nothing like biting into a sandwich, especially when it’s a delicious combination of ingredients! I’m pretty partial to both traditional sandwiches as well as open-face ones — like this delicious veggie, pear, and egg one I ate while visiting Austin, TX, earlier this year.
August is National Sandwich Month, which means it’s time to celebrate by adding some new sandwich ideas to your meal rotation! Prep a sandwich that’s friendly to your Weight Watchers food plan by making simple changes, such as:
- Choosing an open-face sandwich or a lighter bread
- Loading your sandwich up with veggies, such as spinach, red onion, and tomato
- Using 0 SmartPoints® value condiments such as mustard or Sriracha
- Sprinkling on 0 SmartPoints value flavor boosters, like oregano and freshly ground black pepper
- Skipping the cheese, or choosing low- or no-fat options
- Opting for lean proteins, such as turkey breast or salmon
- Picking hot sandwiches that are toasted, rather than prepared Panini style. At restaurants, Paninis tend to be basted with oil or butter to help with the grilling.
- Pairing a sandwich with a salad or veggie-based soup to help make the meal more filling
Here are some mouthwatering sandwich recipes to eat this month:
- Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwiches with Pickles, 5 SmartPoints value per sandwich
- Mexican Scrambled Egg Sandwiches, 5 SmartPoints value per sandwich
- Open-Face Crab–Melt Sandwiches, 5 SmartPoints value per piece
- Spiralized Squash & Hummus Sandwich, 8 SmartPoints value per sandwich
- Thai-Grilled Chicken Sandwich, 6 SmartPoints value per sandwich
What are your favorite nutritious sandwiches to whip up? Tell me on Connect @amy_gorin!
Read more posts from The Eat List.