By Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
I like ice cream a lot. My go-to is mint chocolate chip — it’s so delicious! I tend to not keep it in the house, though, because that would be super-tempting. So when I want a scoop, I walk to the ice cream store down the street.
Turns out July is National Ice Cream Month, and the third Sunday in July is National Ice Cream Day. So this year, that’s July 16. One of the best things about ice cream is there are so many different ways to enjoy it! I love the idea of making an ice cream pie for a party or sipping a seltzer-based ice cream soda. Even though I don’t typically keep ice cream at home, I sometimes keep a pint on hand for summer entertaining.
I’ve gathered some of my other Weight Watchers–friendly ice cream–based recipes for you to enjoy this month! If you’re having a single scoop of ice cream, here’s what you need to know: A half-cup serving of regular ice cream is 8 SmartPoints® value, while the same portion of low-fat varies between 4 and 7 SmartPoints, and a fat-free serving is 3 SmartPoints.
1. 3-Layer Mocha Chip Ice Cream Cake: 4 SmartPoints value per ½ slice
2. Apple Pie Sundaes: 10 SmartPoints value per sundae
3. Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie: 5 SmartPoints value per slice
4. Ice Cream Soda: 7 SmartPoints value per serving
5. Mini Raspberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwiches: 4 SmartPoints value per sandwich
What are your favorite ways to eat ice cream? Tell me on Connect @amy_gorin!
Read more posts from The Eat List.