Weight loss: 3st 6lb
Start weight: 12st 2lb
Current weight: 8st 10lb
Goal weight: 9st
Height: 5ft 3in
Time taken so far: 7 months
Meeting: Blackrod Methodist Church, Bolton
Coach: Justine Wilson
There’s nothing like seeing yourself on video to make you aware of what other people see. My brother-in-law took a video of our family, at Christmas 2015, and I was horrified. I was wearing a size 14 outfit which looked incredibly tight. My face was round and I seemed really uncomfortable.
I was a yo-yo dieter who’d tried every diet under the sun, and they never worked. But having seen that video, I knew I had to make a change once and for all. A friend suggested Weight Watchers. She really enjoyed it, so I decided to give it a go.
What I love about Weight Watchers...
Going into your first meeting by yourself is daunting but I felt really welcome. When I stood on the scales and saw how much I weighed, over 12st, I was shocked as it was nearly the same as I’d been while full term pregnant! But I was more determined than ever to do something about it.
What I love about Weight Watchers is that it’s about lifestyle changes, not just food. Yes, I’ve stopped eating so many takeaways – although I can still have one if I like as nothing’s off limits – but it’s also about making small changes. For instance, I leave the car at home and walk to the shops. I never skip breakfast. I use low fat mince. I’ve stopped picking at my three kids’ leftovers. I’ve taken up running. All these little habits add up to a big difference.
I lost 5lb in my first week and knew I was going to get to goal. Apart from one week where I went out for a big family meal before weigh-in and put on a pound, I lost consistently every week.
I'm a happy size 8!
Now I’m at goal, I go to meetings once every two weeks to keep on track. I feel fantastic. I have tons more energy, feel more in control, more confident and less stressed. What’s more, I’m no longer squeezing myself in to clothes, I've just ordered a size 8 uniform for work!
WW tools used
- App: ‘I use it all the time and plan ahead. It’s also great for making you think twice. Once my kids asked for a Krispie Kreme donut and I thought about having one too until I discovered it was 16 SmartPoints! But before, I would have simply scoffed it without thinking.’
- Barcode scanner: ‘I use this to help me all the time in the supermarket.’
- Oh-so-easy overnight porridge pot - 'A real saviour when I’m planning ahead. I used to skip breakfast all the time and then find myself gorging on snacks later in the day so having something as filling as this, really helps.
- I love bread and would always take sandwiches to work. When I started Weight Watchers I thought I’d have to stop – but instead, I use WW bread! I fill them with ham, tuna or Weight Watchers spread and it keeps me full for the afternoon.
- If Shaun and I want to eat out at a restaurant, I know I can. I’ll make sensible choices but if I want to have a big meal, I’ll eat fewer points earlier in the day.
- We have regular movie nights when the kids have a bag of sweets but I’ll have my own Weight Watchers jelly babies – which stops me pinching theirs!