Jayne: I didn't want to be overweight in the wedding photos
The thought of being overweight at her daughter's wedding was enough to spur Jayne on to join WW, along with her other daughter Jodie.
Weight loss: 10.5lb*
Start weight: 11st 11lb
Current weight: 11st 0.5lb
Goal weight: 10st 7lb
Height: 5ft 5in
Time taken so far: 1 year, 4 months
Studio: Previously at St Marks Methodist, now Woodlands Park, Maidenhead
Wellness Coach: Nicki Jeffries
"I’ve now reached goal, and have a new dress hanging up in my wardrobe that I’m going to have to take back – because it’s too big! That’s an achievement to me."
Changing room victory!
I was in a wedding shop recently, looking for a new outfit for my daughter Kelly’s wedding in October this year. While browsing, the assistant handed me a size-12 dress, before apologising. ‘Sorry,’ she said, ‘you’re obviously more like a size 10’. I was delighted!
I’ve struggled with my weight since my 20s, when I got bigger with each of my three pregnancies. Eventually even a size 14 was pinching at the waist. I yo-yo dieted, but as I moved into my 40s and 50s, it was much easier to gain weight than to lose it. I’d walk past mirrors in shops and think, ‘Is that really me?’
When Kelly announced her engagement to her boyfriend Mike, I knew I didn’t want to be overweight in the wedding photographs. My other daughter, Jodie, was going to be maid of honour, and when she told me she was going to join WW I said I’d go with her.
Of course, there was ‘healthy competition’ between us in the beginning! I didn’t have a huge amount to lose, but reminded myself that any loss was still an achievement. The other day, I walked home with a four-pint carton of milk and thought, ‘Gosh that’s heavy’. When I weighed it, it was 5lb – meaning I’d lost the equivalent of a few of those heavy cartons!
WW tools used
- Bathroom scales: ‘I know WW doesn’t encourage people to weigh themselves every day, but I find it helps keep me on track.’
- Ginger and lemon biscuits: ‘At 11am in my office, everyone has a cup of tea and a biscuit. I keep WW ones in my drawer, so I’m not missing out.’
- Frozen meals: ‘I always have a chicken hot pot in the freezer and if I can’t be bothered to cook from scratch or really want a takeaway, I’ll have this instead because it’s quick and delicious.’
- 'Curried butternut squash soup: ‘Whenever I feel like I’ve overdone it and need to rein it in, this is my go-to meal. It’s tasty and filling but so low in SmartPoints.’
- ‘I’ve always loved chilli con carne and rice, but I needed to find a way to adapt it. Now I use the slow cooker to cook the chilli and towards the end I add loads of mushrooms instead of having rice. I also have a sweet tooth and would snack on chocolate in the evening or when I was bored. Now, I’ll have a WW toffee bar or an ice lolly.’
- ‘Unless my son Sam is home from university, I don’t buy treats. We have a supermarket across the road and I use it like my pantry, doing small food shops every day and buying whatever ingredients we need for the evening meal. It not only means I avoid temptation but my husband Mike and I are both eating fresher meals with far more vegetables.’
*Jayne has now lost 1st 1lb in 56 weeks.