Veggie meatballs with carrot ‘spaghetti’
1 can(s), large, drained, not drained
300 g, roughly chopped
Calorie controlled cooking spray
3 clove(s), crushed
2 tablespoons, finely chopped, plus extra leaves, to garnish
½ tablespoons, finely chopped
2 can(s), large, chopped
600 g, peeled and spiralised
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6 and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Drain the chickpeas but reserve the liquid and set aside. Blitz the mushrooms in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- Mist a frying pan with cooking spray and cook the mushrooms over a high heat for 5 minutes until tender and most of the water has evaporated, then add half the garlic, the oregano, half of the parsley and all of the chives, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Put the chickpeas in a food processor and blitz to a purée, then add to the pan and season to taste. Stir in the breadcrumbs and 50ml chickpea water so the mixture comes together. Allow to cool slightly, then shape the mixture into 12 balls, put them onto the lined baking sheet and mist with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, mist a pan with cooking spray and fry the remaining garlic for 1 minute, then add the chopped tomatoes. Season to taste and simmer for 15 minutes, then stir in the remaining parsley. When the meatballs are done, add them to the sauce and stir to coat
- Mist another frying pan with cooking spray and cook the spiralised carrots for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Serve with the meatballs and a scattering of extra parsley leaves over the top.