Toad in the hole
Plain White Flour
125 g, (white)
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw
2 tablespoons, cold (for batter)
Reduced fat pork sausages, grilled
Calorie controlled cooking spray
1 small, thinly sliced
50 g, sliced
Gravy granules, dry
4 teaspoons, level
1 pinch, for seasoning
1 sprig(s), fresh, chopped
300 ml, (for gravy)
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 7/210°C/425°F.
- Put flour, salt, egg, milk and water into a large bowl. Using a whisk, beat together to make a smooth batter. Stand for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Put sausages into a non-stick roasting pan. Place in oven on middle shelf for 5 minutes, until very hot.
- Working quickly, pour batter around sausages and return to oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until risen and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make gravy. Mist non-stick saucepan with cooking spray. Heat, add onion and sauté gently until golden. Add mushrooms and 300 ml (½ pint) water. Heat until simmering, then stir in gravy granules. Cook until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and add parsley. Serve with toad in the hole.