Sweet potato & coconut scones
Sweet potato(es), raw
2 tablespoons, level
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw, lightly beaten
White Self Raising Flour
350 g, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoons, level
Low Fat Spread
Reduced Fat Coconut Milk, Canned (7.7% Fat)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Put the sweet potatoes in a roasting tin and bake for 1 hour until tender. Set aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh (you’ll need 250g), mash with the honey and egg, and then set aside in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub in the spread, then mix in the sweet potato mixture, coconut milk and coconut.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into a dough then tip onto a floured surface. Knead briefly and roll out to a 1.5cm thickness. Use a 6.5cm cutter to stamp out 14 scones – you’ll need to re-roll the trimmings
- Transfer the scones to the prepared trays, then brush with a little coconut milk. Bake for 15-18 minutes until risen and golden.