Spicy sausage, red wine and fire-roasted tomatoes come together in this ragout-like sauce. Hearty, satisfying and low in ProPoints values.
- 225 g Reduced fat pork sausages, grilled, chopped
- 2 medium Yellow Pepper, cut into 2-inch long thin strips
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil, extra-virgin
- 1 medium Onion(s), thinly sliced
- 120 ml Red Wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons, chopped Garlic, crushed
- 800 g Tinned Tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoons, level Chilli flakes, dried
- 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 teaspoons Black pepper
- 225 g Fresh Pasta, raw, wholewheat, fusilli
- 2 teaspoons Basil, fresh, chopped
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, to make sauce, in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, cook sausage until cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes; remove to a plate.
Heat oil in same frying pan. Add yellow peppers and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly coloured and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
Add wine and garlic; cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and browned sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes.
While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add sauce and basil; toss to mix and coat.
- The sauce is also good spooned over rice. Toss in some fennel seeds for even greater flavour.