Roasted fennel, broad bean & lemon ricotta salad
SmartPoints® value per serving
Fennel takes the starring role in this simple, warm salad that’s topped with toasted breadcrumbs.
4 bulb(s), cut into wedges
White bread, sliced
Broad beans, frozen, boiled
Lemon Juice, Fresh
1 zest(s) of 1
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Put the fennel in a roasting tray and drizzle with oil. Season. Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the oven, transfer to a bowl and leave to cool. Set tray aside.
- Blitz the bread to rough textured breadcrumbs in a mini food processor (or roughly chop with a knife). Place in the roasting tray you have used for the fennel and place in the oven. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven, season and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for around 4-5 minutes. Drain and refresh in a bowl of water to preserve their colour. Remove from their skins.
- Mix the ricotta with the half the lemon zest and half the juice.
- Toss the broad beans with the fennel and squeeze over the remaining lemon juice.
- Divide the fennel salad between serving plates, sprinkle over the toasted breadcrumbs and serve with the lemon ricotta, garnished with the remaining lemon zest.
You could save time by making the breadcrumbs in advance and storing in an airtight container for up to a week.