We added puréed beans to this dish. The result? A robust, hearty stew with a rich, thick texture.
- 450 g Beef stewing steak, lean, raw, cut into cubes
- 5 spray(s) Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 1 small Onion(s), chopped
- 300 g Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 clove(s) Garlic, crushed
- 2 medium Carrots, raw, sliced
- 400 g Pinto Beans, cooked, can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cube(s) Vegetable stock cube(s), make up 350ml with hot water (ensure gluten free)
- 400 g Tomato, chopped, canned
- 1/2 teaspoons, level Oregano, Dried
- 1/4 teaspoons, level Thyme, Dried, dried
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 teaspoons Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons, level Thyme, Dried, fresh, or 2 sprigs (optional) for garnish
Place beef in a slow cooker. Coat a nonstick frying-pan with cooking spray. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic. Sauté over medium-high heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to slow cooker. Add carrots.
Place half of beans in slow cooker. Place remaining beans in blender. Add 1/3 of stock to blender and purée. Add mixture to slow cooker. Add remaining stock, tomatoes, oregano, dried thyme, salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on high setting of slow cooker for 6 to 7 hours. Garnish with fresh thyme.