Hearty Irish stew
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Lamb Leg Steak, Lean, Boneless, raw
600 g, cut into chunks
Beef stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), lamb stock, to make 600 ml
Bay leaf, dry
3 sprig(s), fresh
500 g, cut into large chunks
750 g, cut into large chunks
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat and mist with cooking spray. Fry the lamb on all sides until browned – you might need to do this in batches. Transfer the lamb to a large pan or casserole.
- Add the onions to the frying pan used to sear the lamb and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add a splash of water if the onions start to stick or burn. Stir the onions into the lamb then pour in the stock.
- Tie the bay leaves, celery, thyme and parsley together with kitchen string, then add this to the pan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, cover and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for a further 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the lamb is meltingly soft.
- Discard the celery and herb bundle and season to taste. Scatter over the chives just before serving.