- 720 g Lamb Leg, raw
- 4 clove(s) Garlic, 2 sliced and 2 crushed
- 4 sprig(s) Rosemary, Fresh
- 6 medium Carrots, raw, peeled and chopped roughly
- 3 medium Onion(s), cut into wedges
- 3 medium Parsnip(s), raw, peeled and cut into wedges
- 5 spray(s) Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 3 teaspoons Redcurrant Jelly
- 1/2 medium Lemon(s), grated zest
- 4 whole, small Beetroot, cooked in natural juice
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/fan oven 170°C. Make small incisions all over the leg of lamb with a sharp knife and push a slice of garlic into each one. Place the lamb in a large roasting tin, sitting it on top of two of the rosemary sprigs. Chop the rest of the rosemary finely and rub half of the chopped rosemary all over the lamb. Roast in the oven for 1 hour.
In a large bowl, mix the carrots, onion and parsnips with the rest of the chopped rosemary and the crushed garlic. Spray the vegetables lightly with the cooking spray and mix again. Once the initial 1 hour of roasting is up, add the vegetables to the roasting tin, arranging them around the lamb. Roast for a further 30 minutes.
Make a glaze for the lamb by mashing the redcurrant jelly with the lemon zest. Spoon this over the lamb. Mix the beetroot in with the other vegetables and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the vegetables to a dish and keep warm. Rest the lamb, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes before carving into slices. Serve 120 g (4½ oz) lamb per person, with the roasted root vegetables.
- You can vary the roasted vegetables around the lamb. Instead of parsnips, you could use 600g new potatoes and instead of the beetroot, you could use 3 leeks, cut into chunks, added with the other vegetables.