- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 6 medium Onion(s), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons, level Plain White Flour
- 2 tablespoons Dry Sherry
- 2 cube(s) Vegetable stock cube(s), beef, made with 1.5 litres water
- 1 pinch Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoons Black pepper
- 15 g Gruyère Cheese, finely grated
- 42 g White French Stick, (6 x 1cm slices) toasted
In a large non-stick saucepan, heat oil and very slowly saute onions over medium-high heat until they are golden brown, about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure onions don't stick to pan.
Add flour and mix to combine. Slowly pour in sherry and stock, stirring constantly. Bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste.
Sprinkle cheese over French bread, grill until bubbling. Ladle soup into six bowls and top with bread.