Miguel Barclay | WW UK
#SavePointsSavePounds with Miguel Barclay
With the cost of living on the rise, we’ve joined forces with One Pound Meals chef, Miguel Barclay, to share his clever money-saving tips and tricks. He's also used his expert kitchen skills to rustle up some irresistible budget-friendly WW recipes - with the help of our latest ambassador, Lorraine Kelly. Check them out!
Miguel Barclay’s top tips for saving cash and making healthy meals at home
1. Cook everything from scratch to keep your shopping bills down. Processed food will always be the most expensive thing in your basket. Meat can be costly, but you only have to use a little bit of it.
2. Steer clear of processed foods whenever you can. They cost more than foods in their natural state and, quite often, manufacturers add a lot of fat, salt, sugar and e-numbers, which aren’t good for you.
3. Add colour to your meals by bulking them out with vegetables. The beauty of WW’s ZeroPoint food lists is that you can add loads of extra flavour and texture to your meals while staying within Budget.
4. Use less meat by making dishes such as special fried rice. You only need a tiny amount of chicken or ham for flavour and the rest can be carrots, onions or any other veg that you fancy. When it comes to the eggs, you can choose the cheapest variety as they will taste just as good as the expensive ones.
5. Shop around and visit multiple supermarkets. Sometimes, I go to several in one day, because I know who does the best chicken, which supermarket has quality vegetables and so on. The most expensive doesn’t always taste the best and it pays to do your homework.
Turkey Taco Salad
- Make the tortilla strips. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Cut the wraps into 2cm-wide strips, then arrange the strips in a single layer on a large baking tray. Mist all over with cooking spray, then season and bake for 10-12 minutes, turning halfway through, until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare the turkey. Mist a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and set over a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the turkey mince and cook for 3-4 minutes, breaking up any lumps with a spoon. Add the spices and chipotle paste, season and continue to cook for a further minute, then add 50ml water and simmer for 10 minutes until the turkey is completely cooked through and the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the soured cream, garlic and lime juice. Season to taste.
- Arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and avocado in bowls. Top with the turkey, drizzle with the dressing and serve with the tortilla strips and lime wedges on the side.
Sesame Salmon Courgetti Bowl
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, ginger and chilli flakes. Season to taste and set aside.
- Trim the courgette, then spiralise or use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons. Add the courgette and spring onions to the dressing and toss together to coat.
- Slice the asparagus spears on an angle and add to the vegetables. Toss well to coat. Flake the fish into chunks and gently toss together with the vegetables. Divide between bowls and serve.
Still not sure which membership to choose? Let us help!
You’re only minutes away from finding the right membership for you.