10 reasons to choose WW over the keto diet
Although keto is super trendy, the reality is, it’s a restrictive diet that is difficult for the average person to stick to in the long run. Crucially, it also lacks the science-backed history of WW.
Keto encourages eating a diet that is 80 per cent fat, but, makes no distinction between healthy and unhealthy fats. Keto also restricts all carbs and, similar to its stance on fats, makes no distinction between types of carbohydrates.
The WW programme uses the SmartPoints® system to distinguish between healthy fats and carbs and not-so healthy ones. Every food and drink is assigned a SmartPoints value, one easy-to-use number based on calories, saturated fat, sugar, and protein. Foods that are higher in sugar and/or saturated fat are higher in SmartPoints values. Foods that are higher in protein are lower in SmartPoints values. By eating foods that have a lower SmartPoints value, you’ll automatically be guided towards healthier choices.
The WW programme is a sustainable approach to weight loss and healthy living that allows you to eat the foods you love. No foods are off limits, unlike keto which eliminates most carbohydrates.
10 reasons to consider WW over keto:
- Keto is a complex do-it-yourself diet that eliminates most carbs and encourages you to eat a lot of fat, much of which is unhealthy, saturated fats. WW has been proven to be two times more effective for weight loss than doing it on your own.[i]
- Keto is hard to stick to because it eliminates a lot of foods. Maintaining a diet that is mostly fat and very low in carbs is difficult in the long run. Carbs are not only found in wholegrain bread and pasta but in foods with broader health benefits like fruits and veggies. With WW everything is on the menu, which means you can still eat the foods you love and see success on the scales. Plus, being able to still enjoy your favourite foods means you are more likely to stick to it long-term.
- The keto diet is typically high in saturated fat which can increase the risk of heart disease and some cancers[ii].
- Keto does not align with the UK's Eatwell Guide and government dietary recommendations due to its emphasis on saturated fats, high consumption of animal proteins, and limited intake of fruits and vegetables. Conversely, the WW programme encourages a healthy pattern of eating, based on these national guidelines: eating from a variety of food groups, amping up your fruits and veggies, consuming lean sources of protein, and limiting saturated fats.
- Our programme was been ranked #1 Best Diet for Weight Loss in 2019 for the 9th consecutive year by U.S. News & World Report Rankings. Keto was #23.
- Keto will be challenging if you are vegan or vegetarian. Many of the high-fat foods that are recommended for the keto diet are animal-based, including butter, meat, cheese and high-fat dairy. WW works well with a plant-based diet, with many fruits & veggies being ZeroPoint™ foods.
- Eating meals with friends and family, as well as eating out, are much more manageable with WW as no foods are off limits and you get a personalised SmartPoints Budget to use however you want.
- Keto has little social support. On the WW programme you have the support of the entire WW community which you can access through our app or in person. This includes community support via Connect, our exclusive members-only social community, 24/7 live chat to a Coach on the WW app, or if you're a Workshop member, your weekly WW Workshop offers support, advice and encouragement.
- The WW programme is backed by science with 100 published studies and numerous randomised clinical trials showing that WW is more effective for weight loss than self-help, university-based treatment and advice from your doctor. WW has also been shown to be effective among individuals with diabetes and prediabetes.
WW has many added bonuses you won’t get with keto! We've partnered with Headspace and Aaptiv to provide curated meditation and activity content to help you succeed on your weight loss and wellness journey - all free in the WW app. Plus, we reward you for your healthy habits with our innovative WellnessWins™ programme.
The key to losing weight and maintaining weight loss is to gradually shift your eating pattern to healthier choices, be a little more active each day, and incorporate mindfulness into your wellness strategy, for a holistic and sustainable approach to weight loss.
Ready to give WW a try? Click here.
[i] Randomised controlled trial