Lovely with smoked salmon, grilled bacon, scrambled eggs, mushrooms or grilled tomatoes, these potato pancakes are a treat for breakfast.
7 SmartPoints® per serving
300g potatoes, raw, peeled and cut into chunks
110g plain white flour
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 medium egg, raw
200ml skimmed milk,
2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/8 teaspoons black pepper
360g smoked salmon
6 tablespoons fat free natural fromage frais
1 medium spring onion, chopped
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for about 20 minutes, until tender. Drain well, then mash with a potato masher. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Make the batter by whisking together the flour, salt, egg and milk.
- When the potatoes have cooled, add them to the batter, whisking them in gradually. Add the parsley and season with black pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and spray with low fat cooking spray. Add 2-3 small ladlefuls of batter and cook for about 1 minute until set. Turn over to cook the other sides. Remove from the pan and keep in a warm place. Cook the remaining batter in the same way until it is all used up.
- Serve with a portion of the smoked salmon, 1 tbsp of low fat plain fromage frais and a sprinkling of chopped spring onions.