Chocolate Mousse with Baked Rhubarb
|75g dark chocolate|
|2 tbsp caster sugar|
|3 large eggs|
|2 tbsp orange juice|
|2 stalks rhubarb|
|1 tbsp honey|
|1 tbsp orange juice|
|2 slices fresh ginger, cut into small pieces|
1. To make the chocolate mousse place a small bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. Add the chocolate and heat, stirring occasionally, until fully melted. Remove the bowl and set aside for the moment.
2. Place the egg whites into a large bowl and whisk with a hand mixer until foamy. Add the caster sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking for a minute before adding the second. Continue whisking on high speed until the meringue holds medium peaks.
3. Working quickly add the yolks to a large bowl and mix in the orange juice, then pour in the chocolate, mixing until fully combined. Add a large spoonful of the egg whites and mix in (you don't need to worry about keeping too much air in at this point, we just want to lighten the chocolate mixture).
4. Now working carefully, fold the remaining meringue into the chocolate mixture, working with a third of the meringue at a time.
5. Once fully combined, divide the mousse between 4 glasses and refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
6. Preheat the oven to 190C (170C fan). When almost ready to serve trim the ends from the rhubarb and cut the remaining into short pieces. Place the rhubarb into a small roasting tin with the honey, orange juice and the ginger, tossing together to coat. Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until softened but still holding its shape.
7. Top the mousse with the rhubarb and any syrup that is in the pan.