Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
This has all the zesty sweetness of a traditional carrot cake, but with only a third of the SmartPoints.
SmartPoints values per serving 6
SmartPoints values per recipe 60
Preparation time 20 minutes plus cooling
Cooking time 1 hour 10 minutes
1½ teaspoons gluten-free
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Seeds of 3 cardamom pods, ground
Zest of ½ orange, plus extra to decorate, and 1 teaspoon of the juice
75g low-fat spread
80g light brown soft sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
175g grated carrot
50g grated eating apple
For the icing
125g low-fat soft cheese
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4, then line a 900g loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the cinnamon, ground cardamom and zest of half an orange, and stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the spread and sugar, using a hand-held electric whisk, until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the flour mixture and mix briefly until just combined. Fold in the grated carrot and apple until evenly distributed. Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until browned on top and a skewer comes out with just a few wet crumbs. Put the loaf tin on a wire rack and leave until completely cool. Remove the cake from the tin.
5. Once the cake is cool, make the icing. Beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar and the orange juice. Spread over the top of the cake and scatter with orange zest.