Bacon, egg and spinach breakfast stacks
These omelette-like stacks win praise for both appearance and taste. Whip up a batch and leave some in the fridge for breakfast on the fly.
1 SmartPoints® per serving
6 small potatoes, raw, uncooked, baby-variety
250g spinach, baby-variety
6 rashers back bacon, raw, quartered
200g rcotta cheese
2 medium egg, whole, raw
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
125g half fat Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and place muffin liners in a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Wash and steam potatoes until just done or slightly underdone, about 10 to 15 minutes; cool immediately. Slice each potato into four rounds; set aside.
- Wash and steam spinach until just wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes; cool, drain well, squeeze out any remaining water and set aside.
- Mix ricotta cheese, eggs and chives together in a small bowl until well blended.
- Place a middle slice of potato in the bottom of each muffin hole so it lays flat. Top each with a quarter-slice of bacon, 1 heaping teaspoon of ricotta cheese mixture, about 2 tablespoons of spinach, about a tablespoon of cheddar cheese, another bacon quarter, and another heaping teaspoon of ricotta mixture. Finish towers by placing remaining potato slices on top and sprinkling with a few remaining shreds of cheese.
- Bake towers until fully set and ricotta is cooked through, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in muffin tins for about 10 to 15 minutes and then transfer to racks to continue cooling.
These towers can be prepared ahead of time and then reheated in the microwave or served cold. Make them vegetarian by salting the potatoes and replacing the bacon with roasted red pepper or asparagus or both.