Using tools like measuring cups and food scales makes it easy to dole out perfect portions when you’re at home. But carrying those tools around when you’re at a party? That isn't going to cut it.
You don’t need to weigh, measure, or track anything that’s on the ZeroPoint™ food list. But when you’re enjoying foods that do have SmartPoints, it makes it easier to track them if you know how much you’re eating. Take this mini-quiz to test your portioning know-how.
1) A ¼ pot serving of store-bought guacamole (4 SmartPoints® value) looks about the same as
- a) golf ball
- b) your thumb, from joint to tip
- c) your fingertip
Answer: a (Your thumb is about 1 tablespoon and your fingertip is about a teaspoon).
2) What would a grilled beef burger (4 SmartPoints) compare to?
- a) a closed fist
- b) your palm
- c) a tennis ball
Answer: b Of course, this is for a standard burger.
3) 30g of cheddar cheese (5 SmartPoints) is about the size of
- a) a 9-volt battery
- b) a thumb, from base to tip
- c) 4 small dice
Answer: All of the above!
Whenever you measure and serve yourself, take a mental snapshot: "Here's what one medium portion of couscous looks like. This is a teaspoon of butter." Then no matter where you're eating you'll feel more confident in your ability to eyeball the right size.
Here's a handy visual to keep in mind.