How do I estimate portions on the go?
Using tools like measuring cups and food scales makes it easy to dole out perfect portions when you’re at home. But carrying those tools around when you’re at a party? That isn't going to cut it.
You don’t need to weigh, measure, or track anything that’s on the ZeroPoint™ food list. But when you’re enjoying foods that do have SmartPoints, it makes it easier to track them if you know how much you’re eating. Take this mini-quiz to test your portioning know-how.
1) A ¼ pot serving of store-bought guacamole (4 SmartPoints® value) looks about the same as
- a) golf ball
- b) your thumb, from joint to tip
- c) your fingertip
Answer: a (Your thumb is about 1 tablespoon and your fingertip is about a teaspoon).
2) What would a grilled beef burger (4 SmartPoints) compare to?
- a) a closed fist
- b) your palm
- c) a tennis ball
Answer: b Of course, this is for a standard burger.
3) 30g of cheddar cheese (5 SmartPoints) is about the size of
- a) a 9-volt battery
- b) a thumb, from base to tip
- c) 4 small dice
Answer: All of the above!
Whenever you measure and serve yourself, take a mental snapshot: "Here's what one medium portion of couscous looks like. This is a teaspoon of butter." Then no matter where you're eating you'll feel more confident in your ability to eyeball the right size.
Here's a handy visual to keep in mind.