Chicken is budget and family-friendly, easy to prepare and a great source of protein! And the best news is, skinless chicken breast is also a ZeroPoint™ food, so you can enjoy it with vegetables, or as part of a 0 SmartPoints® meal, knowing you don't have to track it.
From chicken breast recipes to chicken casserole, chicken is incredibly versatile. Enjoy it baked, roasted, braised, stir-fried or mince it. Whatever you do, don't run about like a headless chicken looking for lunch and dinner recipes - we've put together a recipe card of some of our most popular chicken recipes below!
Here's one to get you started - this serves 4, and each serving is 9 SmartPoints. You'll need 20 minutes to prep, then cooking time is 30 minutes.
Simple chicken casserole with dumplings
calorie controlled cooking spray
4 x 125 g (4½ oz) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 leeks, sliced thickly
4 large carrots, sliced thickly
400 g (14 oz) new potatoes, halved
3 fresh thyme sprigs (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
1 tablespoon plain flour
500 ml (18 fl oz) chicken stock, made from stock cubes or powder
200 g (7 oz) Savoy cabbage, shredded coarsely
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dumplings:
100 g (3½ oz) self-raising flour
50 g (1¾ oz) low fat spread
Let the cooking commence:
- Spray a flameproof casserole with the cooking spray and brown the chicken breasts. Transfer them to a plate once golden brown.
- Add the leeks, carrots and potatoes to the casserole and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Mix in the thyme, flour, seasoning and chicken stock. Bring to the boil and rest the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, rub the self-raising flour and low fat spread together until crumb-like and set aside for the dumplings.
- Add the cabbage to the casserole, pressing it down into the liquid. Add just enough water to the dumpling mixture to bring it together as a soft but not sticky dough. Shape into 8 dumplings and drop these into the casserole, making sure that they are in contact with the liquid.
- Pop the lid back on the casserole and cook for 15 minutes until the dumplings are plump and fluffy and the vegetables are tender.
- Divide the casserole between 4 warm shallow bowls to serve.
Scroll down for more of the same!
RELATED: 0 SmartPoints recipes