In season - Eggplant recipes
Top tips for buying and preparing eggplant
1. When choosing eggplant, look for those that are firm, feel heavy for their size and have glossy skin.
2. Store eggplant in the crisper section of your fridge. They’re best used within 3-4 days of purchase.
3. To grill eggplant without using excess oil, spray eggplant slices lightly with oil then grill, chargrill or barbecue until golden and tender. Alternatively spray with oil and roast in a 200°C oven until golden and tender.
4. For a delicious smoky eggplant dip, grill a large eggplant (held with a long barbecue fork or tongs) directly over an open flame, such as a gas stove, until charred and tender. Allow to cool, then scrape the flesh into a processor and process with lemon juice, tahini, garlic and ground cumin until thick and creamy.
5. Eggplant works beautifully with Middle Eastern flavours such as cumin, paprika, coriander, lemon and garlic.
6. Eggplant flesh oxidises quickly (and turns brown), so it’s best to cut just before using to prevent discolouration.
In season during: Summer and autumn.