Veal cordon bleu with roast vegetable salad
Veal leg steak
97% fat-free deli sliced ham
75 g, (shaved)
Extra light cheddar cheese
½ cup(s), grated, (60g), grated
1 medium, lightly beaten
¾ cup(s), (120g), packaged
500 g, (Japanese) deseeded, unpeled, cut into thin wedges
1 medium, cut into thin wedges
1 medium, thickly sliced
Baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced. Place veal between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Pound veal with a meat mallet until 5mm thick.
- Place one-quarter of both the ham and cheese onto half of each veal schnitzel. Fold in half to enclose filling. Firmly press edges together.
- Whisk milk and egg in a shallow bowl until combined. Place breadcrumbs on a plate. Working with 1 veal parcel at a time, dip parcels into egg mixture and then press in breadcrumbs to coat. Place onto a plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin, onion and capsicum on prepared tray. Lightly spray with oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Add spinach leaves and toss gently to combine. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add veal and cook for 2 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Serve with roast vegetable salad.