When is Mother's Day?
Mother's Day is celebrated in Australia and New Zealand on the second Sunday of May. It is a day to appreciate mums, grandmothers, step mums and other important female figures. It's is believed that the tradition of giving gifts on Mothers' Day started in Australia by Janet Heyden, a Sydney local who in 1924 collected gifts for lonely aged mothers in care homes.
Fun ways to celebrate Mother's Day
Mother's Day is a great excuse for a picnic, BBQ or family get together. Some great ways to celebrate include:
- Get active with the Mother's Day Classic fun run held Australia wide
- Raising money for charities that support women's wellbeing such as the McGrath Foundation
- Involve the kids by going to a local flower market and collecting a gorgeous bouquet
- Host a family BBQ or picnic with all the aunties, grandmas and nanas
- Cook mum breakfast! Check out our Mother's Day recipe ideas below.