There's nothing better than coming home to a hearty slow-cooked meal. Here are our favourite slow-cooker recipes for autumn. We've worked out the SmartPoints values for you so you can cook and enjoy!
Our expert tips to slow cooking
1. Avoid lifting the lid on your slow-cooker unless really necessary as this allows the heat to escape. Also cut your ingredients into similar-sized pieces so they cook evenly.
2. Slow cooking is great for tougher cuts of meat (such as chuck or stewing steak). However, still remove as much visible fat as possible to reduce the SmartPoints (there will be enough interconnective tissue to keep it soft and tender).
3. When converting recipes for the slow-cooker, reduce the liquid content as there is less evaporation. As a general guide, use ½–1 cup (125- 250ml) less than for other cooking methods.
Converting recipes for slow cooking
Here’s how to convert your favourite recipe for the slow-cooker. If it normally takes:
• 30 mins–1 hour: slow cook for 2-3 hours (high) or 5-7 hours (low)
• 1-2 hours: slow cook for 3-4 hours (high) or 6-8 hours (low)
• 2-4 hours: slow cook for 4-6 hours (high) or 8-12 hours (low).