- 1 medium uncooked Yukon gold potato(es)
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray, (5 one-second sprays per serving)
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped (or 1 large shallot)
- 4 piece(s) corn, kernels removed with a knife
- 1 cup(s) sweet red pepper(s), diced
- 4 oz uncooked Canadian bacon, diced
- 2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
Puncture potato in several places with a fork; microwave on high power until tender, turning over once, about 8 minutes. Allow to cool; peel and mash.
Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add celery, onion, corn and red pepper; sauté over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. (Note: Feel free to substitute your favourite fresh vegetables like asparagus and broccoli for the red pepper. Or to save time, substitute 2 cups of frozen corn and 1 cup of frozen, diced bell pepper for the fresh corn and red pepper.)
Stir bacon and milk into saucepan; stir in mashed potato and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; stir to combine. Cover and simmer 10 minutes (do not allow to boil). Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.