- 4 slice(s) uncooked Canadian bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small uncooked red onion(s), finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 oz uncooked fresh black eyed peas, about 1 cup
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked white rice, long grain-variety
- 1/2 tsp table salt
Place a Dutch oven (a large, covered pot) over medium-high heat; add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove bacon; set aside. Add onion to bacon drippings and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Sort through peas; discard any debris. Place peas in a colander in sink and rinse under cold water; add peas to Dutch oven. Add reserved bacon, red pepper, black pepper and 4 cups of water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and partially cover Dutch oven; simmer until peas are almost tender, about 2 hours. Stir in rice and salt. Cover completely and cook until rice and peas are tender, about 20 minutes. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
- Vary the recipe by adding a small chopped green pepper with the onion.