Finger foods reach new heights with these adorable stuffed baby peppers. Hollowed-out cherry tomatoes are an attractive serving option, too.
- 16 oz chickpeas (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp olive oil, garlic-flavoured
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 small uncooked shallot(s), chopped
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fat free chicken broth, or water
- 1 tsp chives, fresh, minced
- 9 large sweet red pepper(s), or 18 small yellow and red baby bell peppers
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Combine chickpeas, oil, cayenne pepper, shallot, salt, black pepper and broth in a blender container; purée. Stir in chives; set aside.
Thread whole peppers lengthwise onto long metal skewers. Place on hot grill and cook until peppers are slightly blackened, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove peppers from heat and pull peppers off skewers. Slice tops off peppers; halve lengthwise (and core if necessary).
Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of bean puree into each baby pepper half (or 1 tablespoon if using large peppers). Yields 4 filled, small pepper halves (or 2 large halves) per serving.
- For an attractive party presentation, spoon bean puree into a tube with a cake decorating tip and pipe into each pepper half. Also, decorate a serving platter of the stuffed peppers with fresh chives, Italian parsley, thyme or rosemary sprigs.