Glazed Pear Muffins
2 large, ripe, Bosc, with skin
⅓ cup(s), granulated
Fresh lemon juice
1 large, beaten
2 cup(s), unbleached
Powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and coat a 12-hole muffin tin with cooking spray or muffin liners.
- Core and chop pears into tiny cubes; place in a large bowl. Add cinnamon, granulated sugar and lemon juice to pears; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whip together sour cream, egg, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and milk; set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Make a well with a spoon in centre of flour mixture and pour in sour cream mixture and fruit mixture, alternating in small batches; mix until barely blended. Do not over beat. (NOTE: Batter will be very thick.)
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoons into muffin holes until about 2/3 to 3/4 full; bake until top is golden, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in muffin tin; remove from tins to racks and cool completely. (Or leave slightly warm to dip into glaze for easier preparation.)
- While muffins are cooling, make glaze: Mix powdered sugar, ginger, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla and warm water together in a small bowl (add another teaspoon of water if glaze is too thick) . Spread a thin layer of glaze over each muffin. Yields 1 muffin per serving.