Classic Italian meatballs
Uncooked 93% lean ground beef
1 pound(s), (7% fat or less)
2 large, lightly beaten
1 small, finely chopped
1 clove(s), medium, crushed through a press or grated on a Microplane grater
¾ tsp(s), crushed
1 tsp(s), (or to taste)
¼ tsp(s), (or to taste)
Canned tomato sauce
26 oz, (1 carton), with basil variety
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, (1 can)
½ cup(s), thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, stir together beef, eggs, onion, garlic, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper until combined well but not overmixed. With damp hands, shape into 24 meatballs.
- In a 4- or 5-qt slow cooker, combine tomato sauce and diced tomatoes; set aside.
- Spread flour on a sheet of wax paper; roll meatballs in flour until coated on all sides, shaking off excess.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm oil. Cook meatballs in two batches, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch, transferring to slow cooker as they are browned. Spoon tomato sauce over meatballs. Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 hours on Low; stir in basil. Divide meatballs and sauce evenly among 8 bowls.
- Per serving: 3 meatballs and about 1/2 cup sauce