- 2 cup(s) white self-rising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 4 oz unpacked brown sugar
- 2 large egg(s)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1 3/4 oz reduced-calorie margarine
- 225 gm uncooked carrot(s), finely grated
- 50 gm raisins, (1 3/4oz)To serve:
- 150 gm fat free semi soft cheese
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp raw orange peel, finely zested
Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper muffin wrappers.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, vanilla, milk and melted margarine together. Stir in the grated carrots and raisins. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases (they will be quite full). Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until risen and firm. Cool on a wire rack.
Beat the soft cheese, powdered sugar and orange peel together. Serve with the muffins.The secret of successful muffins is to avoid over-mixing.