Banana three-grain pancakes
Uncooked old fashioned oats
White all-purpose flour
Uncooked unenriched white cornmeal
1 large, diced
½ tsp(s), to mix in with 2 1/2 tsp of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread oats on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Let cool.
- In a food processor, combine 1/4 cup of oats, flour, cornmeal, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Process until oats are finely ground.
- In a large bowl, whisk buttermilk, applesauce and oil.
- In a small bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined. Add banana to batter, then fold in egg whites until just combined.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Pour batter onto griddle by 1/4-cup measures. Sprinkle each with about 1 teaspoon of oats. Cook just until bubbles begin to appear at edge of pancakes, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Repeat with remaining batter and oats. You may have some left over.
- Serve hot, topped with maple syrup and combined cinnamon-sugar.